Friday, February 13, 2009

A little resurrection



I'm weary of winter. Don't get me wrong. I love the stillness of gray skies and naked trees and the occasional snow flurries. It's been fun to wear coats and boots I rarely wore in Florida. But everything is just so dead here and I'm tired of being cold. So, when we enjoyed sunshine and - drum roll please - highs in the 70's last week, I was in heaven. Gorgeous. As I walked in the nearby park a few days ago, I noticed a glimpse of spring. Daffodils. I stopped dead in my tracks and I'm pretty sure the runners coming toward me thought I was nuts - Who is that loony girl standing and grinning in the middle of the trail? But I couldn't help myself. Those bright yellow petals just burst against the barrenness.



Trees are still bare and withered leaves litter the ground but these crazy daffodils have the audacity to peak their sunny faces out into the world and sing of spring. Seems that's the cadence of life - death and resurrection walking hand in hand.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Reminds me of the daffodils we saw in those fields during our trip to TN. :)

Anonymous said...

i remember those daffodils. ironically enough, birmingham was the last place i remember liking spring :). there are these beautiful little tiny periwinkle flowers that bloom in the moss that i always used to look for . . . if you see them say hi for me :)

much love.