Thursday, January 29, 2009

A few of my favorite sounds...

"A thankful heart is a satisfied heart." Ever since I heard these words a few days ago, they've haunted me. Because, honestly, most days I am "thankful" in word only - a sort of homage to assuage the middle-class American guilt of having so much.

But real thankfulness is different. A deep, rooted, real state of being. A steady contentment in the midst of everyday life. Slowing down enough to enjoy the little tastes of heaven, the glimpses of glory to come.

I tend to spend alot of energy dreaming of the future, planning for bigger and better things. I don't know about you, but I tend to miss the little things in life that are rich reminders of my Father's love. My heart needs to be more observant.
My next five posts are going to celebrate each of the five senses... things I am thankful for.
Today I am enjoying some sounds I hear almost everyday but have never really thought about:


*The hum of my coffee grinder and gurgle of the coffee maker. A symphony of fresh, earthy coherence in a cup.

*The whir of car engines on the steep hill behind my house. Every night, around 5-7pm, I'm aware of a continuous whooshing sound as cars stream in a steady line up to this jam-packed residential area. To me, it's the sound of families coming home from a long day to the haven of home.

*The whisper of the stream running through Jemison Park. The walking trail crosses over the stream and I always pause my i-pod to listen to the rushing water as I walk across the concrete stepping stones. It's peaceful, yet moves with such purpose.

2 comments:

kelly said...

great idea, Sarah!! Looking forward to reading the others.

sara said...

I like that saying. It is good and true. Lately I have been trying to be more active in saying outloud the things I am grateful for. I hope this will train me to have a grateful heart.

Come home soon and visit we didn't get enough time at Christmas.