Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Never underestimate the power of....

Green bean casserole.

Now before you roll your eyes - seriously, another sentimental food post??? - give me a chance to explain.
I made green bean casserole for the first time ever today. Somehow this dish never showed up in my house growing up. It was one of those things I scarfed down at church pot-lucks. How can you go wrong with green bean creaminess and (the best part) fried onions?

Honestly, this story is really not about the casserole. Yes, I gripped the still-warm dish and tromped down chilly sidewalk. I looked forward to finally being the bearer (not just the devourer) of this potluck staple. A pig-tailed toddler gave me a hug. A friend and I laughed at the mess I made cutting the huge Happy Birthday Jesus cake. Conversations about everything from pregnancy to hand-made wire jewelry. Where else would I be connected to people in so many different life stages? Such a vast array of personalities and stories and struggles.

At a time in my life when I am asking a lot of questions, riding a tsunami of uncertainty, I'm thankful for nights like this. When the "security" of answers seems pale compared to the realness of being with people who also lie awake at 2am and ask questions. When all the balls we juggle get put aside for a few hours. Nothing like locking eyes, linking arms, sharing words... and some green-bean casserole.

2 comments:

Allison said...

I love green bean casserole!

Li said...

Me encanta green bean casserole. I made this just the other day. There's nothing like it. It was a childhood staple and still is high on my list of comfort food. :)

Casseroles aside, I'm glad you had a good night and were encouraged