
I forgot how much I love the sound of the ocean. Steady, gentle, strong. I'm an east-coast girl; the Gulf always takes my breath away. So blue-green, clear. Pure white sand, so velvety. Gentle wave lapped the shore. Until the last day of Summer Conf, that is. The nasty storm system that swept all of Florida descended upon us sending the idyllic waters into a dark rage. I've never seen such violent waves. Angry foam smashed the sand dunes as I drove (very slowly) down the beach-front road on the way out of town. Funny the transformation, how the sprawling water invited me to rest and reflect and enjoy God's goodness and then just a few days later screamed of such untamed power.
There is really nothing like raw, rugged land to stretch my imagination, bend my heart toward bigger things. It was great to talk to fellow-interns and hang out with students the past few weeks. People are so diverse in their interests, passions, perspectives. I especially loved sitting in on Kevin Twit's 4-day seminar on Art and Christianity. It's exciting to cross paths with talented students who wield the weapons of beauty and truth. So fun to talk about critiquing art and using imagination as a means of grace. Makes me think and wonder a great deal about what lies ahead in my own life. What freedom to create and live and enjoy. Lots of ideas banging around.
For now, I am in Orlando soaking deeply in old friends, good music, cooking adventures, real conversations. So refreshing to share stories and catch up. Speaking of stories, this is my shameless plug for a recent purchase: the Jesus Storybook Bible. Guaranteed to stir up wonder and soften hard hearts. Come, ye weary...
Monday, May 25, 2009
Hello Florida
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Welcome back to Florida! The Sunshine... er... not-so-sunshiny state.
yay for beaches in tolerable weather!
Oh I love the Jesus Storybook Bible! We used it last summer with the Kenyan Kiddos. I love how it ties every single story to the Gospel.
Post a Comment