Some days, no matter how hard I try, I can't concentrate in coffee shops. Yes, I come here to get work done because I am easily distracted at home. But while the distractions there generally involve guitar, refrigerator, or random stuff that I convince myself needs to be done, coffee shops provide a rivaling diversions...
People.
Right now I am curled up on a sofa in the corner of my favorite coffee shop, computer on my lap, ipod earbuds in my ears. You'd be surprised how close people will sit and what they will talk about when they think you can't hear them. Sometimes it's just too much to ignore, all the unknown stories colliding amidst the coffee aroma and hiss of the espresso machine.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Confession
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Yeah I have found the best place to go and read or study is the library. Starbucks is our only "coffee shop" nearby and it's loud with music and people...and too cramped. Dunkin Donuts coffee is way better anyway, but I don't like sitting there and reading.
It's so true. Concentration for me is pretty much nil on coffee shops unless I have someone to keep me on track like a study partner. But even then...
And I will second Jacob's comment on the library. I just recently discovered my new favorite study spot in the library and it is a beautiful thing. Perhaps I should go for non-chain shops, but they seem to be pretty much non-existent around here. I only go to Starbucks to read if I'm trying to waste time... or look like a neo-beatnik intellectual. ;)
I love going to the coffee shops! I feel badly for people I go with, because I tend to people watch instead of being in the conversation! Forget getting any work done, I can never work there.
Glad to know I'm not alone.
So, now I'm wondering if all the folks who hang out at coffee shops doing "work" are simultaneously distracted by each other.
.
yeah, unless I'm in a real bind, I can't muster the concentration to really study in places like that. I also can't eat and study at the same time. It's impossible.
haha same here. So it's official. Coffee shops are places where we go to LOOK like we're doing something important. And everyone else is doing the same thing.
Interesting, because I have actually had some pretty productive study sessions in Starbucks recently. Although it can be distracting at times. The library is usually my place to study though.
Post a Comment