baking...
Pumpkin bread! One of my roommates and I bought a pumpkin and in the vein of the pioneer days, we decided to try using every bit of it we could. We scraped out the cavern, carved the pumpkin, toasted seeds, and pureed the inner "meat" to make pumpkin scones and pumpkin bread. My mom's pumpkin bread recipe left the house smelling of the holidays. Ma Ingalls would be proud.
listening...
Ingrid Michael's new album Be OK blends poetic lyrics with mellow instrumental and a powerful voice. Though she is best known for her song "The Way I Am" featured on Apple and Old Navy commercials, her other songs do not disappoint. In "Giving Up she explores the reality of relationships where cups pile in the sink, paint chips from the wall, people disappoint each other but concludes she is "giving up on greener grasses" for this "real" love. She wrestles with helplessness and longing for a changed world in "Breathing" and you can't help loving her cover of the old Elvis song "Can't Help Falling in Love."
munching....
Cold has settled in. I think I've worn my winter coat more in the past two weeks than I did all last winter in Orlando. And when my feet hit our chilly wood floor in the morning, I am ready for something warm to get me going. My newfound fav is <McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal made with milk and topped with nuts, a dash of honey, and chopped banana.
reading...
Yesterday, the real-life hero of the movie Hotel Rwanda came to speak on campus for a distinguished lecture series. Paul Rusesabagina shared insight into the history of his country and the atrocities that rage on despite our post-Jewish Holocaust assertions that "never again" will such a thing happen. I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around the reality of 800,000 people murdered by machete in a 100 day period. I started reading We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed with our Families, a collection of stories by a journalist reporting from Rwanda. It is difficult to read but I recommend it. The movie is equally unsettling, in a good way. I need to be unsettled.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Currently enjoying....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sarah, That is so awesome that you met Paul Rusesabagina. Another good book about the Rwandan genocide is Left To Tell...about a woman who hid in a bathroom for 90 days with 7 other women.
Hope you are enjoying the cold weather :) I am still in Virginia and I am loving wearing all my sweaters for once :)
Thanks so much for posting this. It was great to hear what you're, reading (that's going on the list), listening to, and baking.
I am in the same boat with you: I cannot wrap my mind around the Rwandan genocide sometimes --especially (as you have said) how we swear up and down that we'll never let another Holocaust happen...
Post a Comment