Saturday, September 20, 2008

One month

Tomorrow marks one month since I arrived in B'ham (as the locals fondly refer to it). As I sat on the porch with my room mates this morning, sipping coffee and soaking up the cool air and smell of fall, I realized that I am starting to feel a little more at home here. Partly because I am getting a handle on the interstate system and back roads, partly because I am growing closer to my room mates, partly because I actually am building relationships with students, partly because time is passing and familiarity has a way of easing the discomfort of change.

Speaking of change, our house mostly finished. The downstairs bedroom and hang-out room are finished and painted. The front yard is still dirt, but at least there's no trench. And we still can't use the front door because the dirt has to settle for a few weeks before the contractors can rebuild the porch steps that will bridge the 3-foot gap from the ground to the door.

On campus, I'm getting to know students and there are more natural opportunities to hang out by joining what they are already doing. I am excited that some relationships are beginning to grow deeper. However, I think I expected life to settle into some sort of "rhythm" which hasn't happened. In fact, I am beginning to see that the rhythm of ministry is that there is no rhythm. And some days that is very hard for me. Hard because I want structure, I want to feel productive, I want some kind of way to measure success. But Jesus has secured success, a success that cannot be quantified, calculated, and sheduled. His Kingdom comes through the weak, the foolish, the poor. His upside-down love can't be harnessed and even when I'm running after the approval of these girls and trying to be a "super intern," he loves me and He is at work, changing my heart, changing the hearts of these girls. What freedom to take risks in my relationships, to try, to fail, to sometimes ask hard questions, to sometimes patiently listen and just hang out, to make mistakes, to feel uncomfortable. It's funny, I say I am a huge fan of mess, but I really am trying to make everything neat and tidy. Thank goodness Jesus does not give me what I want.

In honor of a month of living here, I wanted to share a few of my most recent discoveries:
Jemison Park nature trail, about ten minutes from my house has a shaded trail for walking and running. There's also a stream and picnic tables so it's a great place to relax.

The Pepper Place Farmer's Market. This market is downtown and features art, baked goods, veggies, fruit, etc. My most recent discovery there is pressed flower pendants. So funky and each one is unique. A woman in Birmingham makes them with real flowers. When finished, they are hard and glossy, often embelished with texture of colors and strong on sturdy cords. What fun necklaces! I think they will make such unique gifts. Check out her other beautiful artwork:
Rachel's Garden



O'Kafe's Coffee shop. This place just opened downtown and it's my new favorite place to get read, facebook (yes, it's the absolute best way to communicate with students), and e-mail. Their coffee is roasted on sight and it's amazing. With huge windows, comfy couches, fresh zinnea flowers dotting the tables, and great music playing in the background, it's a relaxed environment for getting work done, hanging out with people, or retreating with a good book.

Birmingham Botanicle Gardens Only a ten-minute drive from my house, the gardens are FREE and feature a rose garden, japanese garden, wooded trails, wildlowers, ferns, greenhouses, and a variety of other plants. It's a refreshing dose of nature and I can't wait to watch each season unfold. Flowers are so good for the soul.

Thank you for all your prayers. Please continue to pray for the relationships that are being formed, for friendships for me outside of RUF, and for wisdom as I decide what church to attend.

7 comments:

Li said...

Hey Sarah!

Thanks for the update! It's great to see that you're settling in and finding some cool places in the area. What are your plans for summer? Maybe I'll scrimp and save so I can come visit the wonderful Birmingham and then head down to visit Allison as well.

Can I just say that I love a farmer's market? Flint may not have much else, but they do have a decent little farmer's market with a fun little cafe on the end. If you ever make it up here we'll have to check it out.

christina said...

Doesn't time fly? The Spirit's work in your heart shines through your writing. What a blessing it is to realize just how much we need Jesus ALL the time! Hug you in less than a month!

Anonymous said...

okay so i have so many things i want to say to you now ... i'm having a conversation with you in my head and i'm going to try to get it down here :)

-- you're absolutely right. the rythm of ministry is no rythm at all ... but the good news is, you get used to it. now i know that might not be quite as comforting coming from me, the queen of disorganization and spontaneity ... but seriously, you do get used to it. and you'll probably find as you do it longer that it's not completely chaotic, either, it's more just ... fluid. but the adjustment can be hard and i'll be praying for you!

-- the b'ham botanical gardens are one of my favourite things on earth! they are responsible for my lifelong love affair with roses and my persistent fear of cacti (don't pet them, as i found out on a field trip there when i was 7). i'm so glad you get to enjoy them!

-- and, this is probably and annoying question, but have you visited a little church called altadena valley? you can find them online at avpc.org. that was my home church as a kid and every time i go back there i am amazed again at how alive the little place is. and it's beautiful :) sorry for the shameless plug but you know me ... can't help but put in my two cents worth. :-/.

anyway, mostly i wanted to say i love you and i'm praying for you and i'm glad you're starting to adjust and feel at home!

Li said...

I can't say that I would mark you down as Marianne Dashwood, except for the fact that she tends to be very honest (in my recollection or her, that is). I'm not sure who I would've placed you as, but I don't think that it would've been M.

Rachel said...

Why do you choose to make "roommate" into two words, "room mate"? Is that more correct?

Rachel said...

Oh, okay. I didn't know if it was some English thing I didn't know.

Li said...

Thanks for the comment. I really miss you. My newest brilliant plan is to win the lottery, give up my job and come visit you. What do you think?