I’m back from two weeks of traveling… it’s good to be home. I spent a week in Panama City, FL for the RUF Summer Conference and then went to visit my family in Jacksonville. Summer Conference was refreshing and encouraging. I enjoyed time on the beach with a good book – it’s so nice to just get away from the normal schedule of life to just “be” a bit. I was the only girl from UCF there, so I got to hang out with “the guys” and make friends. I roomed with a group of girls from Baylor University. We talked and hung out a lot. One afternoon, we even pulled out guitars and violins and sang songs together. I also sort of became an honorary member of the UF group. I did small groups with them, went to dinner and mini golf one night, and spent time walking on the beach. I also enjoyed the teaching. The main speaker preached through Revelation and explored the topic of Glorification. I have been thinking a lot about heaven since then and how rarely I often dream of it. How would my life be different if I lived each day gripped by the certainty of the resolution to The Story? On a slightly different note, I also got to meet several current RUF interns and sign insurance paperwork (I’m officially on staff with RUF starting June 1st!) and go to a staff meeting. So, this new adventure feels just a bit more real.
My time with family was a mixed blessing. It was hard to pack up my books and figure out which pieces of furniture from my childhood room will be heading to Birmingham with me and what will be put in the attic. Though I haven’t lived at home in four years, there’s an air of finality in this transition. Even while at college, I’ve always had a room at my parents’ house and little by little that room is becoming less mine and more a guest room. Also, it was hard to say goodbye to my brother who will be out of the country all summer. Basically, he’ll get back in time to help me move. It is hard to imagine living so far away from him… we are such good friends. Not everything was overwhelming sad, though. I enjoyed late-night laughter with my sisters, coffee with mom, lots of pampering from everyone because I had some dental work done and was pretty sore and swollen for a few days. It was good to just soak up family life.
So, now I’m back to Orlando, trying to juggle part-time work (cleaning and babysitting), full-time support raising, and spending time with all the people I will miss when I move. It’s a little overwhelming. I feel pulled in a lot of different directions. It's hard to rest, hard to trust.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Summer is upon us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Although there is sadness with the finality of moving away from your childhood home, I am so excited for you to be going to Birmingham! I think it is amazing how God has planned our lives, the direction given to us when we have none. Who would have thought when we were little girls with ratty ponytails we would one day be college grads (from the same school...whoah!) beginning an "adult" life.
Go plant your gardens, live your life, have babies. I love that passage, I think it is one of my favorites now! Now Birmingham is going to get a whole lot of Sarah that Orlando will be missing!
oh yes, my friend. i think support raising is requires (and builds) a whole new dimension of faith. i know i'm having a miserable time with it just now. but i also know that jesus is so unbelievable able to handle my lack of trust and my restlessness and my discouragement. he shows me that all the time, even when i refuse to look :). and i know he does the same for you.
love you, friend.
Sarah, SO excited for you to be officially on staff!
And I'm with Allison...go plant your gardens in Alabama! Thankfully, you'll be here for the summer, so we get you for a little while longer.
Post a Comment