
So, I'm moving! This August, I'll be heading to Birmingham Southern College to do a 2-year internship with RUF. This small, liberal arts college is located just three miles outside downtown. I've never been to Alabama, so this adventure makes me squirm a little bit. I always like the idea of adventures in theory but change is hard.
Today I took a farewell stroll around UCF. It was my last time on campus as a student and I enjoyed wandering and watching people. I picked up my cap and gown yesterday and this evening, my room mates and I tried on all our regalia. It was rather strange to stand there in front of my mirror and see a tall, polished graduate staring back at me. I don't feel that grown up. It's funny. When I started looking at colleges, I had my heart set on attending a small, liberal arts school. Yet, I ended up wanting to go to UCF - one of the largest schools in the nation. And looking back, I can see how faithful God has been, how He directed my path, held me through the storms of the past few years, opened my eyes more fully to the depth of His grace and the darkness of my own heart. So, as I look ahead to the changes ahead, I must also look back and remember. And so I journey onward.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi! I'm currently a senior at Vestavia Hills High School planning to go to BSC next year. My over-excited dad has a Google alert set up for anything that mentions Birmingham-Southern and today it alerted him to your blog. I know that sounds random and a bit sketchy, but I couldn't help but to comment... I hope you don't mind!
Anyway, I want to encourage you about your move to BSC. Throughout middle and high school, my main criterion for a collegiate setting was out-of-state. Now, here I am going to a school not only in Alabama, but in the city I grew up in. It's totally not what I expected or what I thought I wanted and I can understand the amount of bravery and trust in God the unknown and unexpected require.
Birmingham really is quite fun – there are a lot of cool places to eat and shop and hang out downtown, we have many local bands and cool places to see concerts, and the arts are highly valued here. I’m actually spending most of this coming weekend at Magic City Art Connection in Linn Park downtown. Anyway, you might already know this or you might not care, but I know that if I were moving to Birmingham, Alabama, I’d have major qualms about settling in a city with such negative stereotypes. (Bare feet, bigotry, and boredom, to name a few!)
Birmingham-Southern is such a great school; my passion for and excitement about it are the reasons I’m writing a five paragraph comment on a stranger’s blog. I think you’ll find you really love it.
Good luck with everything and please let me know if there’s anything I can do to make you feel more at home when you come to Birmingham! (You can look me up on Facebook – Hillary Brown in the Vestavia network.)
Have a great day!
Hillary Brown
birmingham?!?!? look at you, moving to my roots. did you ever meet my miss sandra? because if not, i'll introduce you and that will (seriously) make things WAY better :)
love you friend. wish i could be there for your gradumacation! i'll try to watch online :) which one are you in??
p.s. did you know i grew up in b-ham before moving to ashevegas??
Constance,
You may have mentioned your Birmingham roots, but I must have forgotten... you and Asheville are so tightly connected in my brain. It's funny how many people have connections to this city... random people have relatives there, the Martins live there so Johnny and Christy promise to visit, you grew up there, etc. And I never met Miss Sandra...
I google Birmingham-Southern College all the time because I work there in Student Affairs so let me say welcome to the Hilltop! I'm actually leaving BSC to be a stay at home mom after working there for four years but I love, love, love those BSC students. I am also Tom and Kristen Franklin's neighbor. You'll love Birmingham and especially BSC!
Post a Comment