Thursday, November 01, 2007

A heart-stirring moment


This morning started earlier than usual for me. In the light of dawn, I waited to turn out of my aparment complex onto McCulloch. The traffic was heavy and I had to wait a few minutes. As I sat there wishing I were still in bed, I noticed a huge bird flying toward me from the woods across the street. Not only was this bird massive, but it wasn't flapping its collosal wings at all. It soared gracefully with such power and ease. Then, as it flew right across the street and by me, my mouth dropped open. The creature's pure white head starkly contrasted the greyish-red morning sky. I plastered my face against the window to get a second look as it swooped by and I must admit I let out a squeal of delight (I am not kidding). A bald eagle! I've never seen one so up-close in its natural habitat. I felt giddy with fascination. It seemed to have no care in the world, simply floating through the air between the majestic morning sky and the frazzled drivers on their way to work. Who knows how many people drove by without even noticing. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Coincidence? I think not. In this breath-taking bird, I saw such a picture of grace and beauty. In the midst of my own struggles and the uncertainty of the future, I am filled with a new awe at God's promise to breathe life into the faint and give His people wings to soar like eagles. This momentary sighting of a bald eagle made me think afresh on God's promises:
"The Lord is the everlasting God,
the creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint, and
to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:28-31
My Savior doesn't just promise to bind up my wounds I we can stagger along. He heals, transforms us and breaths new life that His people might soar through the sky with magnificient strength that flows from Him. I praise Him today for the little glimpse of that restoration and beauty that soared over my car so unexpectedly this morning.

No comments: