Earlier this summer, I watched the movie Defiance, a story of a group of Jews who survive hidden in a forest during World War II. A tale of violence and darkness, love and perseverance, sacrifice and trust. In a moment, when presented with the opportunity to became as brutal as their oppressors, one man cries out:
“Our revenge is to live.”
This line pierced me. So simple, yet packed with implications, these words suggest a life lived fully is more destructive to evil than a life characterized by violent retaliation. Surely a passive, tight-lipped denial of injustice is not the answer to mess, but neither are bitter stewing, insult-hurling, and flimsy paper plans. These words suggest that to thrive is to unravel brokenness, that survival is not merely hanging on by a thread but is, at its core, an assault on darkness. Brings to mind a favorite quote from the movie Rent:
"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."
What does this look like? I should hope by the grace of God to spend the rest of my life finding out. Take that, kingdom of darkness. We shall live.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
on revenge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have been wanting to see Defiance, so I'm glad you mentioned it.
While I can't figure out how I missed that quote in Rent, I would say that I more or less agree. The 'less' part of that statement is because I see 'peace' not as "passive" or inactive, but as proactive, active, etc. That being said, I really do like the quote from Rent.
I saw that movie about a month ago, except I walked into it while people were watching it and never knew the title. I loved that line as well. Live on!
Post a Comment