Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's in a name?



Turns out Ruthie just wasn't going to cut it. Our kitten needed a slightly more feisty name to match her affectionate, fiercely loyal, spunky, curious, stubborn personality. So, Josephine it is because she reminds me of Jo March.
We call her Josie for short.

At this moment, she is curled up on my lap sound asleep but, who knows, in five minutes she could by trying to chew my computer cord. She has a thing for shiny white objects - I often find her curled up next to my computer or lounging on the back of the toilet. I love doing life with her... she just wants to be around and is genuinely interested in whatever I'm doing. I constantly accuse her of thinking she is a dog as much as she loves to lick and snuggle and just "be" with me.



Forget the 88 cent mouse-shaped catnip toy I bought her at Wal-Mart; she'd rather forage for entertainment among random household objects. Toys of choice right now:
-a shiny blue ribbon from our giftwrap stash
-pens and pencils (she rolls them around on the floor and chases them every which way)
-paper of any sort (her paper-chewing tendencies have me suspecting she is part goat)
-the refrigerator and dishwasher (she leaps into them whenever I open the doors)

Ah, life's simple pleasures. She hangs out on the bathroom counter while I get ready in the morning, sleeps on my lap while I read or watch tv, curls up on the corner of my desk while I work. But I'm convinced she only really likes me because I let her chew on my ponytail, lay in the bed with me in the morning, and lick my ice cream bowl after I'm finished (that last one seals the deal, I think).

2 comments:

Allison said...

I thought you named her Persephonie or however that is spelled. What happened?

Sarah said...

Oh, I forgot I told you about that. We changed her name again... Persephone was just too weird and hard for people to remember and was not a good "you're-in-trouble" name to yell when she needs a reprimand. Josephine seems to have stuck.